Friday, August 12, 2011

My Key Coffee Table. I'm in Love Again.

Well, I hate to tell my hubby, but I'm having an affair...with my new coffee table. Yup. I love this more than life itself. Well...not really, but I'm pretty dang pleased with it.
Firstly, I purchased this table off of Craigslist for a very small price. Score.
It sat in my garage for about 2 weeks until I made the absolute FINAL decision of what to do with it. I was inspired by a table I saw on Sisters of the Wild West. I thought it was SO kewl (my teen daughters HATE when I write cool that way, so that's why I'm doing it).
One of the best things is that this table was totally unfinished. Yup. A furniture crafter's dream. The problem is that when you have a piece like that, the sky is the limit. I become paralyzed with decision making because I want it to be perfect!
One day, I took the plunge and just started. And now, I am in love with the finished product.

I don't have a complete pic of what it looked like in the beginning, but just imagine that it was a plain jane.





The other thing that absolutely tickles me about this project is that all of the keys are my original designs. Since I don't consider myself particularly creative, these designs were a boost to my craft ego.



I cut out the vinyl with my Cricut, placed it on the table, and painted away.



I decided to use some lock designs as well.



This is one of my favorite key designs and is the logo for my new business, which will be called Howsewears:


This is another favorite design. They're almost like my children.


And here is the final product.

The base is painted in Old White chalk paint. It's not distressed. The jury is still out on that.










The project stalled when I couldn't decide which stain to use on the top. I experimented on the underside with just wax, oak stain, cherry stain, and walnut stain. The final decision (with the help of my daughters) was to use a cherry and walnut stain mix. I was so pleased with the final outcome. I like the warmth but I don't like it too dark, so this worked well.


Here's a better view of the designs.




I do have to admit that I might have to enter a 12-step program. Hi. My name is Tami, and I'm an obsessive crafter. Nah. That means I'd have to be willing to change.
I hope you like it.
And, if you're interested in fancy-ing up a table you already have, message me through my Etsy shop here, and I can custom cut vinyl keys to fit your piece of furniture!
Fondly, Tami
Today, I'm linking to:
The Shabby Nest
Remodelaholic Friday
My Romantic Home
Feathered Nest Friday 
No Minimalist Here 
The Frugal Girls 
I Heart Naptime
Flamingo Toes
Sisters of the Wild West
The DIY Showoff
Under the Table and Dreaming
Tatertots and Jello
Between Naps on the Porch 
Dittle Dattle
http://creatingreallyawesomefreethings.com/
Craftomaniac
The Graphics Fairy
The Tattered Tag
Singing Three Little Birds
Be Colorful
Homemaker on a Dime
Making the World Cuter
A Diamond in the Stuff
Coastal Charm
DIY by Design
The Tip Junkie
Primitive and Proper
Night Owl Crafting
Saavy Southern Style
Handy Man, Crafty Woman
Restore Interiors
Today's Creative Blog
Someday Crafts
Beyond the Picket Fence
Blue Cricket Design
French Country Cottage
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Tip Junkie
The 36th Avenue
The Shady Porch
Gingersnap Crafts
Stuff and Nonsense 
The Trendy Treehouse 
The Southern Institute 
Polly Want a Crafter 
It's a Hodgepodge Life 
Embracing Change 
Miss Mustard Seed 
The Vintage Farmhouse 
Kampenlane 
Elizabeth and Co.
Ivy and Elephants
Kammy's Korner
The Vintage Farmhouse

63 comments:

  1. Man oh man, if you ever sell those keys as stencils, keep my addy!! I LOVE those!!

    The table is cute too, but it's CUZ of your keys I love it tooo very much (and btw, my teen daughter hates when I write CUZ instead of because too)

    Smiles!
    Visiting from ShabbyNest Linky Party today :D
    ~Suzanne in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Inspirational & functional. The Key to Life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, so creative, the keys are so cool! The keys really make the table. Great Idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Keys are so enchanting. Your stenciling is really crisp. Great job! Your new foloower, Andrea @ townandprairie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's totally kewl too!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that the key design is on wood. Nice look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in love with your coffee table, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so want a Cricut! It looks great! Selling or for your home?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This table is wonderful. I love Keys! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dee, I may sell it if the price is right, but I love it so much that it may be hard.
    Fondly, Tami

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first comment didnt post, so ile try again. What a fabulous job uve done on the table. How origional indeed. Ur latest follower, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. super cute! Thanks for sharing at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tami I love your table! Beautiful job!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous, Tami! Your key designs are wonderful and I adore the finished table. Thanks for sharing at the Open House party.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That turned out wonderful! Beautiful redo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is fabulous! Not only do I love your key designs, I love how you placed them/spaced them on the top. Very creative. Thanks for posting it. I saw it on The DIY Showoff. I'm following you and looking forward to see what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Truly awesome! I love this table, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. VERY creative and if you're gonna have an affair, a coffee table is a pretty safe bet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Miss Tami!! Fabulous. You are creative, you are!!
    xo jeanne
    bees knees bungalow

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW. I am totally in awe. I LOVE your key coffee table!! I'm a little crazy about key designs - yours are incredible. Love, love, love it!

    I'm having a giveaway on my blog - please stop by if you'd like! ShannonSews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a unique idea! It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks amazing! I wish I could come up with such great ideas! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is BEAUTIFUL!! I love your creativity!

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is just lovely! Any living room would be proud the have this table!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is a beautiful table...I think you are very creative! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. oh i can see why you are in love! t hat is so cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this table! Thank you for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the keys!! Great table! I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is amazing! I love it!

    Kimberly @ The Brown Eyes Have It

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love keys- what a great table! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hopping over from Thrifty 101... This table is wonderful!! The key designs are so creative! Thank you for sharing!

    Kelly@The East Barn

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! I'm in love too! That is amazing!
    -Meg

    www.happylooksgoodonyou.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. I LOVE those Keys!!! What a great way to add them to your decor! I vote distress on the legs though :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love those black keys!! Thanks so much for linking this to Thrifty Thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I collect keys, so naturally I'm in love with your design. Great job!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is phenomenal. I love your designs! Pinned and tweeted this!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Tami this is beautiful!! I love the keys- they're perfect. :) Thanks for linking up to Think Pink Sundays! I featured you today! http://www.flamingotoes.com/2011/08/crush-of-the-week-think-pink-features-19/

    ReplyDelete
  40. I would love to have a little bit of your talent and a whole lot of your energy. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  41. You have been featured at CraftOManiac. Have a SUPER SATURDAY. winks-jen

    ReplyDelete
  42. great job, my daughter loves old keys too, she will be jealous

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is so prettyI know if you had contest & the stencils were the prize I would have won,lol,lol, So thanks ,, sllvncookie....

    ReplyDelete
  44. Loved this and featured it today on Motivated Monday at BeColorful
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love your table, Tami! Fantastic project. So glad Kate sent out the list - I'm your newest follower. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh I love this!!! Wish I had a Cricut . . . wonder if I'd have the patience to hand cut stencils like this? No matter, saving this idea anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a great idea and it came up a treat. Thank you so much for sharing. My very first visit here I will follow on my way out so I know my path back here. Perhaps you will find the time to come visit me soon and do the same. I look forward to engaging more throughout the year and beyond. Take care. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love it Tami! Beautiful! I am also an obsessive crafter - is that so wrong? Cone back next Thursday to
    Link again snd thanks do much for joining my first party!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love love love this! I looove keys, so a key stencil project just jumped up high on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. This turned out so well, it's a real statement piece now! The lock and key stencils are really well done. I'm sure Crate & Barrel would charge and arm and a leg for something like this. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Barrows or C&B would charge $300 at least!

      Delete
  51. WTG! Really great job. Your enthusiasm is contagious. Keep up the good work and please keep sharing with us so we can drool. I found you through Sisters of the Southwest.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say!