Friday, September 2, 2011

Dumpster Diving

 Well, Froggers. I have stooped to the bottom. Yup. Dumpster Diving. Well, I didn't actually go in the dumpster. I picked something up beside the dumpster. So, I think that doesn't qualify. Or does it?
You see, a good friend tipped me off briefly before church started 2 Sundays ago. He told me about a chest of drawers that looked like it was in good condition near his daughter's apartment.
And, yes. I did immediately look at my watch. Shucks. Church was starting in a few minutes. Could I just slip out without anyone seeing me?

I succumbed to internal pressure to stay. As my pastor was talking about God's love, I was thinking about Furniture Love. You know. The deal of the century. The piece that didn't get away? That great piece of furniture that you procured for FREE?
Would it still be there? Would it start raining and ruin what was left on the finish? Would someone else get there right before me and snatch it from my clutches?
As soon as church was over and I paid my requisite greetings to my Fellow Christians (although could they call me that after I hadn't paid attention all morning?). A streak was seen as I exited the building. Well... not quite. After all, I really can't run that fast.
HubbyDoc, Youngest, and I drove the Subaru to said location, and lo and behold, it was still there! Joy and Jubilation! We pulled out all of the trash items that were placed in front of it. We jiggled the drawers, rocked the base, and checked the joints. The only thing that was wrong with it was that the runner for the bottom drawer was broken. No problem. I'll just ask my dad to fashion the piece for me and I'll nail it in.
Now, here's the funny part. Since Youngest was in a hurry to go to lunch with a friend, and the Subaru would only hold the chest plus 2 people, I decided to wait for HubbyDoc to drive home, drop off Youngest, and then come back and pick me up. Keep in mind that we had just come from church.
Our church is very casual. However, this particular Sunday, I decided to wear my cute new sandals with heels. Once Hubbydoc went home, I was left, literally standing on a street corner waiting for him to return. In the rain. It was then that I discovered that perhaps I looked less like an innocent Furniture Stealer and more like a Hoochie Mama. As people drove by in my conservative, small town, I received looks like I've never received before.
So, just call me Hoochie Mama Dumpster Diver. 


Here's the chest in its nakedness.




I love wooden knobs. They're so versatile. 




And here's the transformation:


I painted it with a combination of Versailles chalk paint and Paris Grey. There are actually numbers on the chest, but there's not enough contrast for the camera to pick them up. I was a little disappointed that you can't see them well, but perhaps that's the charm of the look. Yeah. I'll pretend it was planned.









I love painting the knobs!



And, last but not least...I was a winner on Miss Mustard Seed's blog! I received a lovely pencil tin:


This is from Abodent, which has delightful little goodies.



AND, I received a $50 gift certificate. Deciding what to use it for was quite difficult, but here's what I finally ordered:


I received 8 of these adorable knobs after paying just a little bit more than $50 since they were shipped from the UK. I can't wait to find the perfect piece to put them on.
Well, that's it for now, Froggers. I hope you have a splediferous weekend! Fondly, Tami

Today, I'm linking to:
The Freckled Laundry
Just a Girl
My Romantic Home
The Shabby Nest
Coastal Charm 
Handy Man, Crafty Woman 
Night Owl Crafting 
Savvy Southern Style 
On Sutton Place
Thrifty Decor Chick
The Shabby Creek
Blue Cricket Design
Someday Crafts
Domestically Speaking
2805 
Beyond the Picket Fence
The 36th Avenue
Knick of Time Tuesday
Primitive and Proper
Miss Mustard Seed
Embracing Change 
Sisters of the Wild West 
Craftomaniac


27 comments:

  1. So, so, SOOOOOO worth the "stares", Girl!!
    (Love your shoes BTW)

    Thanks for the great story, photos (it's a LOVELY dresser!) and smiles.

    Your Sister in Christ,
    Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wortyh the dive--love it!! Thanks for sharing at Beyond the Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this funny story...now tomorrow you might want to play attention to what your pastor talks about...he he!!! Your chest makeover looks outstanding with that ASCP...love it!! Come by and join me at my weekly NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY PARTY…hope to see ya there!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tami, so fun to see what you're up to...and it looks like you're up to your neck in fur other projects! Beautiful work! Can't wait to find out what will be showcased next at Cozy Crop House!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice transformation. I have a similar piece, in my daughter's room, on my to do list for a similar revamp. Thanks for sharing!

    ~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking



    A Mother Seeking...




    This week, "When Life Hands You Lemons..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH this made me laugh . . . this past Sunday I was struggling with should I go to church OR head back to our local outdoor flea market to get more of the vintage jewelry I'd picked up the day before. My hubby's a staff pastor . . . but I still struggled. I went. To church. Bless me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your chest, maybe we could go dumpster diving together sometime? Lol, I like the story. Found you at open house party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This made me laugh! This is a fun and thrifty post!

    Hope you will bring one of your wonderful posts or projects to the Potpourri Party with linkup beginning Thursday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to see you! Thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday. Your participation made for a more successful party. I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on this dresser. Love the two tone look. Thanks for linking up to Open House Party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great save. It came out fabulous.
    Oh and I must say nice shoes.
    Hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the transformation. I lost a chest like this one when my oh so intelligent son decided it wasn't worth moving from old apartment to new one. Guess that's what I get for letting him take my 'vintage' furniture to college. Lost a great bookshelf also. BTW, love, love, love the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great transformation - good for you!
    I love this style of dresser and what you did with it!
    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's too funny. Sounds like we have a lot in common. ... and the shoes look great too! Would love for you to check out Curb Alert!
    http://tamicurbalert.blogspot.com/
    Just my silly little blog about my dumpster diving and treasure hunting experiences.
    ~Tami

    ReplyDelete
  16. Actually I enjoyed it so much that I have awarded you the Dumpster Divin' Diva Crown over at Curb Alert! Take a look!
    http://tamicurbalert.blogspot.com/2011/11/dumpster-divin-diva-crown.html
    P.S. The dresser turned out lovely - great find!
    ~Tami

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow- what an awesome dresser!!!!!! what a FIND!!! it looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lucky you!!! I never find anything so nice. Great job on the transformation too. :) visiting from MMS.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think it counts as stooping to the bottom if you are wearing those sweet sandals when you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my word! I want to go dumpster diving with you! I would have gone BANANAS when I saw that beautiful dresser! And what an awesome transformation! I love what you did - absolutely stunning! Thanks for linking up - furniture redos are my favorite!!! Please come back next week. I would love to see what else you have created!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your dumpster dive find so much I featured it with the Inspired Creations Linky Party features! Stop by to see and grab a featured button while you are there! Thanks for linking up and please come back weekly on Thursdays to link up again!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com
    p.s. - what wouldn't we do for a fine piece of furniture??

    ReplyDelete
  22. You did a great job. I love finding great blogs at parties..see you soon Lori

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just in case you were not aware...your word verification is on

    ReplyDelete
  24. No, I think you have to be inside to be dumpster diving,so you haven't stumped to low, yet. But I don't think it will be long before you are a dumpster diver! Your piece was so worth getting, and your transformation is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Par.tay!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I actually got a wonderful wooden barrel in a dumpster outside a Pier One store. It had been a display piece and they were revamping the store. It sits on a plant shelf on it's side as a vignette with plants and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so funny! I love the chest of drawers and would LOVE to find something like this even if I had to stand guard until someone came back to get me and it. I have been looking for a cheap (very cheap) but good condition chest of drawers for my granddaughter who lives with me and so far I have had no luck whatsoever! You did a wonderful job transforming it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMGoodness,,,,what a grand story.....couldnt' sleep so got up and went to CJS 2015 page to look at your show and tell again, to see if part 2 was there of the project and perused some of your blogs...I'm all for a "freebie" and not shameful at all to grab and run. Thanks for the joy you brought me whilst I was drinking coffee at 5 AM....

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say!