Saturday, March 26, 2011

No Sew Drop Cloth Curtains, Glue Gun Style


So, Froggers. I've been reading about drop cloth curtains and I was intrigued, especially since we've lived in this house for 5.8 yrs. and I'm JUST getting around to putting window treatments up. You see, I'm very cheap, and I wanted to make my curtains, but I wasn't inspired in the least to use my sewing machine. I was blog hopping, and I found a gal who just used a glue gun on her curtains. "Hot dang," I thought to myself. I could get excited about that! So, I got to work.
Miss Mustard Seed says to wash your drop cloth fabric several times to get it soft and pliable. Since she's practically an idol of mine, I did as she said. What I didn't read was her post about bleaching them. Bummers. I would have liked that look, but I'll save that technique for when I cover my wing backed chair. 
Anyhoo, I really didn't have a particular room in mind to adorn, but when I opened the drop cloth package, I was hit with a wave of brilliance (which happens on occasion). The cloth was put together in three identically sized panels, so I decided that this piece of *expensive* fabric was going to be used for my three windows in my bedroom. Yipee!
All I did was separate the panels with a seam ripper, cleaned up all the little threads that had a magnetic attraction to my black sweater, and went at it with my glue gun. Now, I have to be honest, it would have been quicker and easier to sew these babies, but I really wanted to empower my Froggers who don't like to sew. Notice I didn't say "can't", because everyone can learn to press their foot to the pedal and guide a piece of fabric through a little moving needle that threatens to impale your finger through the nail bed, showering your new fabric in a lovely blood-red color. 
I glued the seams back together, and turned the raw edges under that were "faced" the wrong way. You have to be careful here. Imagine the panel hanging up, and fix your raw edges accordingly. Then, I glued some trim that I purchased from Joann's, for half price, of course.
Trim on the Curtain

Once that was done, I simply clipped them to my curtain rod with those wonderful ring clips that save House Divas like us from having to use that #$()*&% sewing machine.
Now, I really wanted some more color, so HubbyDoc and I went to the Calico Corners Outlet and discovered a wonderful sale. I spent $47 on about 5 different coordinating fabrics. Now, one of the fabrics was $37/yard at the normal price. REALLY? Well, I expect Kate Middleton's wedding gown will be fashioned out of one of those fabrics. Know what I'm sayin'?
I took one of the coordinating fabrics and fashioned a plain rectangular valance that was wider than the curtain. This way, when I clipped the valance to the rod with the panel, it would be a little bit bunchy, thereby giving it the "designer look" that I so desperately desired but for which I didn't want to take out a second mortgage (how's that for excellent grammar?).


Here's the valance:


And my adorable chandelier that I bought for a little too much money. Oh, well.


I needed some sashes, so I made some small rectangular pieces out of one of the fabrics and sewed plastic sash rings to the ends. I mounted a 3M removable hook on the wall beside the window moulding. Then, I threaded a fabulous tassel (that I found at Tuesday Morning for about $5 each) on each sash. I gathered the fabric and hung the sashes onto the hook. Voila!







 
This chick is one happy crafter. The best thing is that the whole deal (with rods, braided trim, clips, and all the matching fabric) only cost about $100- $125. Can you say THRIFTY? Now, I know it's not as impressive as some of my Fellow Froggers, but I was pretty tickled.




Now onto the dining room.

13 comments:

  1. Those look AMAZING!!!! Beautiful job ma'am!!!! You would NEVER know it was dropcloths!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tami, The curtains turned out wonderful! I love that you added the coordinating fabric to the top. There are so many wonderful projects using drop cloths that I think I should buy stock in the companies that makes them. Great job. Thanks for sharing your pretty new curtains at my party.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a nice touch with the addition of the other fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there- Your curtains came out beautiful! Loving the whole drop cloth slipcovers, curtains, etc. ideas too. The added trim on yours and the fabric valance on the top is perfect and really brings a finished feel to them. Thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the look....I sew, but I love the idea of using a drop cloth...heard they Rit very well too...the trim and topper went very well with your look...good for you. Tiff
    Oh, by the way, I am having a 100 Follower Giveaway at my blog, I invite you to visit, Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I was sooo clever using dropcloths for curtains in my living room. You win the clever award as you actually doctored yours up so nicely with a valance and tiebacks. Very pretty. You've inspired me to make mine a little snazzier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I'm going to recover a french-styled couch with drop cloth... SO inexpensive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore my drop cloth curtains! Yours are much fancier than mine!! LOL!
    ~Terry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aghh!!! I wish I hadn't seen your link to this project!!!! I have lived in my house for 5 years as well (without curtains in the family room) and I've had two packages of drop cloths waiting in project pile to be made into curtains for like a year.

    Now I feel lame..but inspired. Your curtains turned our great! I like how you mixed in other elements. Now if only you could come over to my house...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute!! Impressive even! I am visiting from Someday Crafts and I am a new follower!! Hope you have a great week and I see you around soon!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your drapes are just beautiful. Excellent post and tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. these look great! Thanks for linking up to Mod Mix Monday

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's me again having fun looking at some of your old posts. I love the way you gussied up your drop cloth drapes. This looks so much smarter than plain! I really like them!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say!