Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Ikea Table Re-furb and a Word about Briwax

So, I didn't know this table was an Ikea table until I had to tighten a bold, and realized I needed the Little Ikea Bold Tightener Thingy, which HubbyDoc so conveniently had in his tool box. After minor adjustments and lots of sanding, I ended up with this:

 (Sorry for the blurriness. The camera had just come out of the AC into the lovely, steamy miasma*)

I'm loving the different drawers on both sides.


This is my attempt at an artistic shot. You know. The "diagonal approach".




Now, there has been a lot of blog activity lately concerning making your own chalk paint vs. buying it, CeCe Caldwell’s vs. Annie Sloan, cost, latex vs. chalk, etc. And, I’ve seen some comments presented in a vituperative* manner…over PAINT. Sheesh!
So, if you disagree with me about what I’m going to say, be nice! I’m not getting paid by anyone to endorse anything. Just sayin’.
I just recently bought some Annie Sloan clear wax, mainly because I wanted to see if the effects would be any different than when I use Briwax.
Final verdict? I didn’t like it any better. I used it on the Queen Anne table that I re-furbed, and it applied just like Briwax and buffed just like Briwax. The only real difference was that the Annie Sloan wax doesn’t have noxious fumes, and the Briwax can get a little stinky.
And, the Briwax is about $9 cheaper per can.
Bottom line? I’m saving my AS wax for when it gets cold outside and I have to wax inside this winter.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Here's how I transformed this piece:
1. I sanded the top, using a palm sander, to remove the sheen and top coat of whatever they use. I made sure that I sanded the whole top down to the bare wood.
2. I used a base coat of ASCP Emperor's Silk.
3. I painted on a coat of ASCP Old Olive.
4. I brushed a coat of Antique Mahogany Briwax on the Old Olive and then buffed.
5. I sanded some random areas to reveal the Emperor's Silk.
6. Then I did the really fun part. I rubbed several coats of the Briwax on the sanded wood top, revealing the lovely wood grain.
I hope this inspires all you Froggers to transform something just plain useful into something useful and pretty.
Fondly, Tami





*words learned while helping my daughter study for the SAT.
I'm linking to:
DIY by Design 
Primitive and Proper

3 comments:

  1. it looks like such better quality than ikea! great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool Tami, thanks for the tutorial ;o)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say!