Saturday, July 23, 2011

Cook Book Shelf

Hey, Froggers! I hope you all aren't melting too much in this heat across our country.
I've been wanting to paint this baby for a long time. It's a shelf. I think it used to hold encyclopedias. Remember those? They were volumes of heavy books that you used to use for research projects? Wow, and to think that I have my entire Bible, complete with about 15 different versions, all on my Droid that I can hold in my hand. I still marvel at technology today. But I digress.
In keeping with the tradition of being an incomplete blogger, I didn't take a before picture of this bookshelf. Just imagine that it's a boring brown color- like most of the furniture that you all refurbish.
I used Old White chalk paint for the base. I also wanted to have a design using a vinyl resist (my current fave technique). It's important to remember that when you use this technique, that you base coat the piece in the color that you want the design to be.
Here's it is with the vinyl design. I do admit that the design is not mine, but I can't remember where I procured it. If I figure it out, I will def. give credit!

The vinyl was cut with my Cricut, using my Sure Cuts a Lot program. Once I place my vinyl on my piece, I rub it well to make sure the paint doesn't seep underneath.
Then, I paint over it carefully. I used Louis Blue chalk paint as my top coat. Once the top coat is dry (usually just a few hours or so), I pull off the vinyl. This is the fun part since it reveals my cool design.

I then waxed this piece with clear Briwax, buffed it, then gently distressed it.

I may go over it with some oak Briwax, but for now, it's still sitting in my garage waiting to be adorned with cookbooks. However, I need to organize the books and magazines with prettily decopaged magazine holders and lovely book covers. And, we all know how long that's gonna take. Sheesh. There's a hole in the bucket....
As always, feel free to leave a comment. I love to hear from all of you!
Fondly, Tami
And, today I'm linking to Modern Country Style, who has a tutorial on using AS chalk paint. Way cool! Also, Diddle Daddle , Creations by Kara, Craft Junkie too, Funky Junk Interiors, Beyond the Picket Fence and Skip to My Lou, Miss Mustard Seed, and Flamingo Toes. Enjoy!

21 comments:

  1. Cute shelf! I really like how you used the vinyl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous. I love that shade of blue. :)

    (new follower here!)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done. Came over from Miss Mustard Seed.
    New follower, bookmarked your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty - but in your garage?? it should be front and center somewhere :)

    Thanks for sharing - another project to add to my to-do list for that elusive "some day"

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of your pieces look GREAT!!!!!! Nice job girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is beautiful. Want to sell it. I marvel at all u all do. I just cut cards and things. Never done vinyl may have to try it.
    TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, Susan! No, it will be put in my kitchen. It's just sitting temporarily in my garage.
    Fondly, Tami

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely shelf ... I like what you have done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun project! Great way to accent and make a plain piece pretty!

    Love to have you stop by and link up at my weekly Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Link Party

    www.ShadesofAmberInc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. How darling. I love the color and the pattern. Thanks so much for linking it up to Fab Friday!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is the cutest ittle shelf, ever! the painted details suit it to a tee! great makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love what you've done here. The two chalk colours go beautifully together. And what a pretty design!

    I've signed up to follow you.

    Thank you so much for linking up to my 'Paint, Please' link party.

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so happy I found your blog through Kara's linky party today. :) I love it!
    I'd like to invite you to share your creations sometime at my weekly linking party as well. I am really trying to grow my party to include lots of creative projects just like this one. Thanks for the consideration and here is the direct link if you'd like to check it out :). ~ Tracy
    T.G.I.F. Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the pretty stencil! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tami, your bookshelf turned out beautiful! I love the design you chose. I really want a circuit!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your nice comment about my grain sack slipcover :)

    xoxo
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! Come link up to my first party! I would love to have you there!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have that exact bookcase.. :-) Mine is actually hanging on the wall in my studio. Yours turned out so darn cute... Great job!

    Warm blessings,
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say!